The Abertay Historical Society was founded at a meeting in University College, Dundee on 29 May, 1947 by the Principal, Major-General D.N. Wimberley and History Lecturer, Dr Wainwright. It was formed to encourage the study of local history in Angus, Perthshire and Fife. The Society and the University have maintained close links, many members and office-holders have been University staff and many publications are authored by University post-graduates. We continue to offer a prize annually for the student dissertation which makes the greatest contribution to local history.
The Society's original remit has been implemented through talks and lectures, excursions and annual publications, and with other agencies, we have also lobbied for the preservation of local historical buildings. We were instrumental in the creation of Dundee Heritage Trust and Dundee Civic Trust. The Society also takes part in the Dundee Afternoon Lectures series, which is run jointly by the Dundee Centre of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society, the Dundee Members' Group of the National Trust for Scotland, the Dundee Naturalists' Society and the Abertay Historical Society.
The Society’s programme of lectures covers topics as diverse as ancient and modern archaeology, social, industrial and political history, gender and recreational history, literature, biography and music. Events have included visits and workshops at museums and archives as well as concerts and book launches.
The Society strongly maintains its interest in promoting research about the Abertay area, so let us know if you've undertaken any local historical research or are considering doing so.